DESCOVY for PrEP®?
DESCOVY for PrEP is not for everyone:
- It is not for use in people assigned female at birth who are at risk of getting HIV from vaginal sex, because its effectiveness has not been studied.
- You must be
HIV-negativebefore and while taking DESCOVY for PrEP.
There are some things to consider before you and your healthcare provider decide if you should take
DESCOVY for PrEP
First, talk to your healthcare provider about whether you're at risk for getting HIV.
YOU MAY BE AT RISK IF YOU:
- Don't always use condoms
- Had or currently have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)
- Have sexual partner(s) who don't know their HIV status
- Have sex in a geographic area or sexual network where HIV is prevalent
This is not a complete list of risk factors. Your healthcare provider can outline other possible factors and if they apply to you.
For more information on HIV in your area, go to AIDSVu.org.
If you are at risk for HIV, starting
Who should not take
DESCOVY for PrEP?
If you think you might have been exposed to HIV before starting or while taking
Do not take DESCOVY for PrEP if you weigh less than 77 pounds.
Your healthcare provider is the best resource to learn more about HIV risk. Having an open conversation about your sexual health gives your healthcare provider a more complete picture so they can recommend a protection plan that's tailored to you.
Don't have a healthcare provider?
Use the PrEP Locator to find a healthcare provider who has experience prescribing PrEP medication.Find one here
What should I tell my healthcare provider before taking
DESCOVY for PrEP?
- All your health problems. Be sure to tell your healthcare provider if you have or have had any kidney or liver problems, including hepatitis.
- All the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. DESCOVY may interact with other medicines. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to your healthcare provider and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
If you're interested in learning more about
DESCOVY for PrEP, ask your healthcare provider:
What else can I do to reduce my risk of getting HIV?
How effective is
What are the common side effects I might experience while taking
How often should I be tested for HIV and other STIs?
Talk to a healthcare provider about the steps you can take to help prevent HIV.